You must call our office and speak to a BLS Training Center Faculty BEFORE registering for this course. You must be pre-approved to enroll. You will not be allowed to attend the program if you do not do so. Thank you! Call, 269-4158, Amber Clark.
Registration Dates – Please click on desired date below and follow the registration steps:
*All dates are 8am-4:30pm
Description and Target Audience: This American Heart Association (AHA) course is designed to prepare students to teach providers Basic Life Support (BLS) and Basic First Aid techniques recommended by the AHA. This course will transition those certified in BLS for Healthcare Providers to a BLS Instructor. Those wishing to teach AHA BLS courses. Instructor candidates do not have to be a medical professional to become a BLS instructor. Instructors teach courses for healthcare professionals and the lay public.
Steps to becoming a BLS Instructor after registration is complete:
1) Complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Course (this will be mailed to the instructor candidate 3 weeks prior to the course along with the BLS Instructor Manual and AHA policy manual)
2) You will attend the live instructor course of your choice (dates listed above).
3) You will make an appointment to be monitored at your first course within 90 days after the BLS Instructor course. Arrangements will be made at the live instructor course. Please do not schedule courses until after you have attended your live instructor course.
Pre-requisites – All 3 must be completed before entry into the course
1) Copy of your current AHA “BLS for Healthcare Providers Card” (front & back)
2) Letter of recommendation (from supervisor, another instructor, or someone who has knowledge of your teaching ability)
3) Please contact the Education Center prior to registration to affiliate with the CoxHealth Training Center. You must be pre-approved.
4) BLS Instructor Essentials Course must be completed and certificate of completion must be presented at the live instructor course.
Testing: Written instructor essentials exam (25 questions) and BLS for Healthcare Provider exam (25 questions). Both of which must be passed with an 84%. One-on-one BLS for Healthcare Provider skills testing required.
Course Length: 8-hour live class program and course monitoring at your first course.
Certification Length: 2 years
$125.00 (CoxHealth Employees)
Includes: BLS Instructor Manual (mailed to you), Heartsaver Instructor Manual (receive in class), BLS Instructor Essentials Course (mailed to you), AHA Program Administration Manual (mailed to you) and certification card (receive after course monitoring). Fee also includes a $100.00 Training Center Membership fee. This fee covers instructor support for 2 years and required course monitoring visit.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials; do not represent income to the Association.