A Long History of Excellence
The Cox College specialty imaging programs have been in existence for over 40 years. The program started with training programs in CT, Interventional Radiography (IR), and Sonography, but has since grown to include Mammography, MRI, Echocardiography, and Interprofessional Leadership. Our institution has graduated hundreds of specialty imaging professionals with exceptional outcomes. Year after year the first-attempt licensure examination pass-rate for our students is at or near 100%.
Printable program information is available at this link.
The Cox College Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Imaging (BSDI) degree is designed for students with a background in healthcare or medical imaging and includes an option to complete an imaging or professional specialty as a part of the program. This degree offering is the first of its kind in Missouri and one of only a few in the surrounding states. With the exception of DMS imaging students, all didactic courses can be completed online!
- BSDI entry-level track – This track is for students seeking the Cox College BSDI with minimal college-level education. Students pursing the BSDI through this track will first acquire the ARRT credential in Radiography through Cox College ASR program before advancing through the remainder of the BSDI curriculum. Having completed the ASR program, students must apply to the BSDI program and select an area of specialization – CT, DMS, IR, MRI, or Mammography. The complete degree requires 128 credit hours.
- BSDI specialty track – This track is tailored to meet the needs of students already registered in Radiography or another primary imaging modality (such as Sonography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, or Radiation Therapy). Students must apply to the BSDI program and select an area of specialization – CT, DMS, DMS-Echo, IR, MRI, Mammography, or Interprofessional Leadership. Students in this track must complete a minimum of 64 credits hours to satisfy the degree requirements.
- BSDI completion track – This track is for technologists already registered in Radiography (or another primary imaging modality) and a specialty (secondary) imaging modality. Students complete only a select group of general education and core curriculum courses amounting to a minimum of 32 credits hours.
- Credentialing pathways – The BSDI provides opportunity for students to specialize in one of several specialty imaging modalities. After the completion of specific specialty courses and clinical requirements students in the BSDI are then eligible to apply to the appropriate ARRT and/or ARDMS national registry(s). Available imaging specialties include Computed Tomography (CT), Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS), DMS Echocardiography (ECH), Interventional Radiography (IR), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), and Mammography (MAM).
To be eligible for admission into the BSDI, a candidate must meet the following conditions:
- Complete the Cox College undergraduate application and check “Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Imaging”
- Download and submit the Specialty Diagnostic Imaging program application
- Download and submit the Clinical Affiliate Request form if requesting a clinical site outside of the CoxHealth system
- Students must select an area of specialization – CT, DMS, DMS-Echo, IR, MRI, Mammography, or Interprofessional Leadership. BSDI completion students do not choose an area of specialization.
- All specialty imaging courses begin in the fall semester for both BSDI and non-degree students. Applications are due April 30.
- BSDI Completion Track students and IPL specialty students may enter the program in any semester. Applications due April 30 or November 15.
- Applications received after the deadline are considered on a case by case basis.
- Application to the BSDI for specialty imaging students requires two personal references, all college transcripts, and a current ARRT/ARDMS card (if applicable).
- Successful completion of Associate of Science in Radiography (ASR) or related field (contact college for details).
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in an imaging program or related degree.
- ARRT primary registry complete prior to entry into the BSDI program.