- Continuing Education & Life Support
|Course ID||Course Name||Course||Category||Credit Hours|
|Life Support||Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Initial Course||Basic Life Support (BLS)||Continuing Education and Life Support||N/A|
Description and Target Audience: This American Heart Association (AHA) course is designed to prepare students to teach providers Basic Life Support (BLS) and Basic First Aid techniques recommended by the AHA. This course will transition those certified in BLS for Healthcare Providers to a BLS Instructor. Those wishing to teach AHA BLS courses. Instructor candidates do not have to be a medical professional to become a BLS instructor. Instructors teach courses for healthcare professionals and the lay public.
Steps to becoming a BLS Instructor after registration is complete:
1) You will receive a pre-course program called the “Instructor Essentials Course” (online format) in the mail 2 weeks prior to the date of this course. You will be expected to complete this before entry into the live course. You will not be permitted to enter the live course if you have not completed the pre-course program.
2) You will attend the live course of your choice.
3) You will make an appointment to be monitored at your first course within 90 days after the BLS Instructor course. Arrangements will be made at the live course. Please do not schedule courses until after you have attended your instructor course.
Pre-requisites – All 3 must be completed before entry into the course
1) Copy of your current AHA “BLS for Healthcare Providers Card” (front & back)
2) Letter of recommendation (from supervisor, another instructor, or someone who has knowledge of your teaching ability)
3) Please contact the Education Center prior to registration to affiliate with the CoxHealth Training Center. You must be pre-approved.
Testing: Written instructor exam (25 questions) and BLS for Healthcare Provider exam (25 questions). Both of which must be passed with an 84%. One-on-one BLS for Healthcare Provider skills testing required.
Course Length: 3-4 hour web based program, 8-hour live class program, and course monitoring at your first course.
Certification Length: 2 years
$125.00 (CoxHealth Employees)
Includes: AHA Core Instructor Course, BLS Instructor Manual, Heartsaver Instructor Manual, AHA Program Administration Manual and certification card. Fee also includes a $100.00 Training Center Membership fee. This fee covers instructor support for 2 years and required course monitoring visit.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials; do not represent income to the Association.