This is a bachelor degree program with curriculum consisting of formal didactic courses, simulated labs and intensive clinical training in the concentrations of abdomen and small parts, obstetrics and gynecology, and vascular technology.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography is designed to provide students with a quality educational environment that promotes professionalism, effective communication, critical thinking, and imaging skills that meet the requirements of CAAHEP as well as the credientialing bodies of the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
Students are encouraged to become active learners through a rigorous didactic and clinical environment that promotes a variety of learning experiences for professional growth and lifelong learning.
Students completing the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program will have the knowledge and skill set to successfully enter the workforce as credentialed sonographers in Abdomen, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Vascular Technology and/or Echocardiography.
Advanced Placement Options
Applicants with previous experience in the field of sonography, in an educational system not approved by the JRC-DMS or in an on the job training situation will not be granted advanced standing in the program. Students from JRC-DMS approved programs of Diagnostic Medical Sonography seeking transfer must satisfy all of the requirements of a regular applicant. An updated transcript and a letter of recommendation from the director of the current program must be mailed to the Cox College Admissions office. Consideration for transfer will be granted on an individual basis.
Application and Admissions
Applicants must be/have:
- Registered radiologic technologists or registry-eligible with successful completion of the ARRT radiologic technology registry prior to the program start date or unrestricted licensed.
- Registered Nurse or registry eligible at time of application (must pass exam and become licensed prior to program start date) with completion of a general or radiologic physics course.
- A minimum 3.o GPA in an imaging program or related degree.
Admission Deadline: April 30th
Interviews: May 1st-15th
Decisions Mailed: May 15th-31st
To apply to the Cox College DMS Program, the applicant must:
- Complete the general Cox College application and select the Diagnostic Imaging Program application
- Download and submit the Diagnostic Imaging Specialty application
The Diagnostic Imaging Program Application should include these documents:
- Personal essay
- Two personal references (one faculty and one clinical)
- Radiologic Technology transcripts and all college transcripts
- Copy of professional credentialing/license card (or scheduled test date)
Send completed application forms and documents to:Cox College 1423 N. Jefferson Avenue Springfield, MO 65802
Tuition and Fees
Beginning Fall 2013 all specialty imaging programs are offered through the Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Imaging (BSDI) degree program. For tuition pricing and scholarship information, please contact the Bursar’s office.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography and Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Echo Extension program has been programmatically reviewed and approved by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043, 443-973-5251, email@example.com, in general, vascular and cardiovascular and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation (CAAHEP) 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, 727-210-2350, firstname.lastname@example.org in general, vascular and cardiovascular.