Description and Target Audience
This workshop is designed for nurses and EMS personnel who either direct or participate in resuscitation of an infant or child, whether in or out of the hospital. Purpose of PEARS is to help the basic pediatric healthcare provider develop the knowledge and skills for emergency assessment and treatment of seriously ill infants and children.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss respiratory distress and failure, shock and cardiac arrest.
- Verbalize the appropriate lifesaving actions within the initial minutes of response until the child is transferred to an advanced life support provider.
- Perform an assessment of a seriously ill or injured child (manikin) using the general and primary assessments.
- Describe the “assess-categorize-decide-act” approach to recognition and management of the child in respiratory distress or failure, shock or cardiac arrest.
- Discuss the appropriate actions to take for stabilizing a critically ill or injured child during the initial minutes of response until the next level of care arrives.
- Verbalize the appropriate actions for a child in cardiac arrest.
- Describe the elements of effective communication as a team member.
- Perform pediatric BLS utilizing current AHA guidelines and bag-valve-mask ventilation on the infant and child.
Written exam (50 questions) which must be passed with an 84%. One-on-one skills testing required.
Student Manual and certification card.
General Public $160.00
Student rate $140.00
CoxHealth Education Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Midwest Multistate Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- 7.0 Contact Hours
The Missouri Board for Respiratory Care has approved this program for 7.0 hours of continuing education credit. The MBRC approval number for this course is 4104. Licensed respiratory care practitioners are responsible for maintaining their own documentation records of continuing education and should claim only those hours actually spent in the activity.
CoxHealth Prehospital Services is an approved provider of continuing education by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Unit of EMS. This activity has been approved for 7.0 contact hours. The Training Center number is 07710C.
This program has been approved by CoxHealth for 1 trauma contact hours for CoxHealth employees.
Accreditation approval only refers to this educational activity and does not imply endorsement of any commercial products by CoxHealth or any proprietary entity producing health care goods or services.
Participants will receive statements of credit at the end of the program when all requirements for credit have been met. Satisfactory completion of objectives will occur through course attendance. In order to receive a statement of credit, all participants must sign-in at the registration desk; demonstrate the skills necessary to complete this course; satisfactorily pass written exam; and turn in a completed evaluation form at the end of the program.
Information presented during this activity represents the views and opinions of the presenters and does not necessarily constitute the opinion, endorsement of, or promotion by CoxHealth.
No sponsorship or commercial support has been received for this activity. No Off Label medications or medical devices will be discussed.
All speakers and planning committee members for this activity have indicated they do not have any conflicts of interest or significant financial affiliations with any pharmaceutical or medical device companies. American Heart Association created this activity.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials; do not represent income to the Association.
Fees subject to change at any time.