Program Description and Target Audience
The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program is a workshop designed for healthcare providers involved with the pre-transport stabilization of neonates. This course is designed for MD’s, DO’s, Advanced Practice Providers, RN’s, LPN’s, Respiratory Therapists, and Pre-hospital healthcare workers. Premature and ill infants benefit when all healthcare providers have participated in learning a systematic approach to identification of problems and a standardized approach to care provision. Participants will practice a team approach to infant assessment, identification of problems, and care strategies. Team members learn and practice many of the skills discussed in the course.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss safe, quality patient care and prevention and measures to eliminate preventable adverse events.
- Discuss methods to establish intravenous access and monitor and normalize the patient’s blood sugar. Demonstrate ability to accurately calculate glucose doses based on body weight and to place a UVC.
- Identify measures to prevent cold stress and hypothermia.
- Discuss methods to support ventilation and maintain a normal acid- base balance. Demonstrate ability to accurately interpret neonatal ABG’s, to perform PPV with NeoPuff, to secure an ETT, and to needle aspirate a pneumothorax.
- Verbalize clinical presentation and treatment strategies for hypovolemic, cardiogenic, and septic shock. Accurately calculate fluid resuscitation doses based on body weight.
- Compare and contrast most common types of neonatal sepsis and identify appropriate laboratory studies. Demonstrate ability to calculate ANC and IT ratio of CBC values correlate lab findings with infant condition, and be able to predict next best action.
- Identify the crisis a NICU hospitalization places on the family and participate in group discussion to explore varied methods to offer emotional support to the family.
CoxHealth Education Center, CoxHealth North, K400, 4th Floor, Classroom #1.
Enter Cox North from the Robberson Ave. Northwest Entrance. Upon entering the building turn right and take the elevator to the 4th floor. You will arrive in the Education Center lobby.
Satisfactory completion of objectives will occur through program attendance, achievement of minimum passing score 85% on post-test, and participation in skills lab. Cards will be issued by THE S.T.A.B.L.E. Program and mailed to participants upon satisfactory completion of objectives.
Information presented during this activity represents the views and opinions of the presenters and does not necessarily constitute the opinion, endorsement of, or promotion by CoxHealth.